Wondering why so many people add CBD to their morning Coffee?
Here are the benefits that may convince you to jump on the bandwagon:
1. CBD Enhances Mental Alertness Induced by Caffeine
Caffeine makes us more alert by acting on certain neurotransmitters in the brain. CBD can further bolster this sensation by interacting with the same neurotransmitters responsible for mental stimulation.
One of the most important neurotransmitters in the brain that controls mental alertness is adenosine.
More adenosine in your system slows down the communication between neurons. This can make you feel sloppy and tired. As we move toward the end of the day, adenosine builds up to help us relax and fall asleep at night.
As caffeine binds to the adenosine receptors itself — it blocks the access to those receptors, eventually preventing adenosine from working as intended — hence the increased mental alertness.
The relationship between CBD and adenosine is more complex than it is with caffeine. While caffeine is considered an agonist of adenosine, CBD is its modulator. In other words, CBD improves the efficacy of the adenosine receptors instead of inducing its effects through direct stimulation.
Other coffee-enhancing effects of CBD may be felt through its interaction with serotonin — a neurotransmitter responsible for feelings of happiness and euphoria. Increased serotonin levels are associated with greater motivation and a heightened sense of well-being.
2. CBD Can Curb the Caffeine-induced Anxiety
CBD is best known for its ability to reduce anxiety. CBD is a very good anti-anxiety agent because it operates on several individual mechanisms to achieve this state of mind rather than relying on one molecular pathway.
Long story short, CBD offers the following benefits for those suffering from anxiety:
- Regulates hypothalamic function: hypothalamus is the brain’s area responsible for our stress response.
- Stops inflammation in the brain: neuroinflammation is one of the main physiological triggers of anxiety
- Blocks the reuptake of serotonin: as mentioned, CBD modulates serotonin activity in the brain, reducing anxiety and enhancing our feelings of well-being.
- Increases GABA activity: as a GABA modulator, CBD causes widespread relaxation in the nervous system.
- Relieves muscle tension: eases the muscles stiffened by the flight-or-flight response.
All of the above effects work together to bring significant relief from anxiety — which is the reason why so many people are turning to CBD oil for anxiety and depression.
3. CBD and Caffeine Extend the Duration of Each Other’s Benefits
Almost every substance that you ingest needs to be metabolized by the liver in order to be flushed from the body.
The liver uses a system of specialized enzymes (CYP) enzymes to perform its function and disassemble active ingredients in drugs, cells by-products, and other compounds in our bloodstream.
Caffeine and CBD share a structure similar enough to require the same system of enzymes to process them.
Similar to other organs, the liver’s ability to metabolize substances is limited, so if there’s a sudden influx of compounds like CBD and caffeine, the liver gets informed about that; it won’t process these compounds faster than it can.
Think about this mechanism as of the rush hour traffic. Once enough cars enter the road, it will eventually turn into gridlock. Traffic to the liver for metabolism is also slowed down.